Nice job--even the corners are looking good now! Seems like you're about at the "end of your rope" Alan, and I can sympathize--must have taken a lot of hours to get them looking so great.
As far as paint/primer--I'm not an expert but did work at a paint store for a while after I graduated from college and learned quite a bit there. From your quote (above), here's my suggestion as far as the best way to finish these babies without having to invest a ton more time. After you're satisfied with your patching and sanding job (looks like they're almost ready) or after your can of filler runs out and you're done sanding them, I definitely recommend using a primer sealer--not just a primer. It's not much if any more expensive, and you'll get much better results. I'd use Kilz primer sealer--foam roller is a great way to apply it (no brush marks) and no sanding will be required after you prime with Kilz. Then, apply your top coat. If the can of paint the seller gave you is a mystery unlabeled or "no-name" paint, I wouldn't use it. I'd go down to Home Depot and get a gallon of name brand paint. I think I used Behr latex (or similar quality) on mine when I had A7's many years ago. When I was done painting them, I kept the leftover paint sealed tightly in the gallon can and they touched up like a dream whenever they got "scuffed" moving them to gigs etc.--they were the P.A. speakers for my (rock) band. Personally, I never put any "clear coats" over my latex paint--it would have interfered with touch up painting down the road and I never saw the need to clear coat over high quality paint (as opposed to refinishing projects involving wood stain like an antique china cabinet etc. which I did clear coat over the wood stain).
Since it sounds like you're pretty much burnt out on this project--this is IMHO the best way to not skimp on results/get great results and not invest a ton of time. Kilz primer sealer (no sanding afterwards)--just let it dry and then a top coat of high quality paint over it (no clear coat necessary--although there are probably merits to a clear coat over paint--that's your call of course)......
EDIT--I just hit "submit quick reply" and saw you posted as I was typing. Sounds like a great "game plan" you've got if that paint that was given to you is the color you want. No need to clear coat over porch and deck satin paint IMHO. Those decals will be a great finishing touch--cool that Bowtie came through for you....






Satin has a nice texture with a nice gentle sheen.

Bookmarks